Old Jaffa Museum of Antiquities
The old governmental Ottoman house. A unique complex, historically and architecturally.
It is an Ottoman complex on top of Crusaders Fortress remains, with beautiful curves ceilings. It was re-built at the 17th century and most probably used for lodging. In- 1811 Abu-Nabout turned it into the governmental house. Along side the governmental quarter, there was a big gate, a well, prison, post office, bath-house, mosque, non roofed court, surrounded with column patio, open and closed halls for animals, goods & for lodgers, with heating facilities for the gests and the inhabitants.
With the city growth and the governmental transfer into the "New Saraya" house(at the
A famous, Arabic Greek-Orthodox family, that traditionally served as "The Consuls of four nations"; mediators between the Christiansand the local Ottoman regime in
Along side the family quarter, and the lodgings, they founded the well known soap factory. During the Independence War at 1948, it was abandoned, and letter on become Tel Aviv Municipal estate, defined as an historical preservation site.
The Museum was founded at 1960 by the late Dr.Kapaln an archeologist pioneer of the new Jewish state that excavated in
The museum contains archeological findings commencing the Neolithic age to the Roman-Byzantine era, testimony of people, nations, and historical occurrence sequences.
In the findings: Doorpost stones of Raamses II's "Arc de Triomphe" to mark his safe return to Jaffa after the Battle of Kadesh BC1274 against the Hittite Empire, his of name and titles carved on it. The Assyria King Sanherive prism transcription (BC 18th century), Ashmonazar burial transcription (BC 5th century), icons, working tools, hoarding vessels, house wares, ornaments, oil lamps, act. Some are testimony of local manufacturing, others of imports, comers or conquest relations with
*The Jewish aspect: the cosmopolitan port city of
Findings of that era, comes from a Jewish house (The new visitors center in the
Old Jaffa Antiquities Museum combines the permanent archaeological exhibition with changing contemporary art exhibitions.
It is only but natural for ancient
So here we are 9,450 years of steady settlement and counting…
Mifratz Shlomo 10, Old