The Mahmoudia Mosque is the largest mosque in Jaffa, and bears the name of its founder, Jaffa’s governor, Muhammad Abu Nabbut..
The Mosque was rebuilt over the foundations of an earlier mosque in the years 1812-1814. The mosque structures are arranged around three inner courtyards. The mosque was decorated with ancient marble pillars brought to Jaffa from Caesarea and Ashkelon, and placed in the mosque upside down with their heads to the ground, which created an inner courtyard surrounded by a harborico of pillars with arches between them.
The large courtyard leads to the mosque structures including the hexagonal minaret and the large prayer hall. The main entrance to the mosque is from its southern side, above which is a plaque noting the year 1227 of the Hijra (1812). Other gates lead to the mosque compound – one leads to the old Sarayah house and the other to the Clock Square. This gate is known as the “Ruler’s Gate”, as it is the one through which the rulers of the city entered the mosque from the new Sarayah house across the road. This is the grandest gate, and it includes byzantine elements incorporated in it and Ottoman decorative elements of the empire’s symbol – the star and the crescent.
In the southern wall of the mosque is installed Sabil Suleiman, whose shape is a large arc that incorporates white marble stones and pink granite. The sabil is named after Suleiman Pasha, ruler of Acre and the commander of Abu Nabbut.